From the park plaque:
Officially Opened July 1st, 2001
Waldheim was originally incorporated as a Village in 1912 and then incorporated into the Town Of Waldheim in 1967. The Town Of Waldheim in partnership with the Canada Millennium Partnership Program established this park in honor of local residents for their contribution to the community. The park was built paying homage to our past and cultural origins, with a look to the future by providing a green space for all. We welcome the start of the new millenium by honouring the history of our community and residents in a way that symbolizes our pride in the past while building for the future, creating a place where history and recreation can join together.
The park was built by the residents of our community, young and old alike, and is dedicated to:
SAM WENDLAND, and his wife MARTHA WENDLAND
in honor of Mr. Wendland who served the Community as a Member and Leader of the Municipal Council for Forty Years.
Village Councillor: 1956 – 1962
Village Overseer: 1962 – 1967
Town Mayor: 1967 – 1997