Zones of responsibility
- Town routinely cleans the sewer mains in the streets and works to alleviate any potential problems so we can have a properly running sewer system. Sometimes things are out of our control and there is a problem.
- The property line is the dividing line for the areas of responsibility for the homeowner and Town. After carefully looking at all of the circumstances our councils over the years have adopted the following procedure for our residents to follow when you experience a blockage of your sewer line. Here are some helpful decision making tools:
- If you experience a backup
- You can call contractor of your choice to help resolve the problem. There are a few local services that can help you. You can also call the town office to notify public works. We will come and check the sewer mains to make sure that there is no blockage in the mains.
- If you feel that the blockage is caused by something on the town side of the property line and would like to talk to Public Works this is what the current policy is:
- Council has made the decision that the problem needs to be verified by a video recording at the home owner’s expense initially. If the video shows that there is a problem on the town side of the line, town will take over the project from that point. We will refund the normal acceptable cost of the video and acceptable normal fees to remove the blockage.
- Public works will review the video and develop a plan of action to resolve the problem. This could consist of many different aspects, from an engineered solution to just repairing the line. We may have to trench in a new service line which will involve soil and asphalt disturbance in the area affected. if you choose to run a new line right from the house to the main, the Town will work with you to divide up the costs accordingly.